Gordonia obtusa Wall. ex Wight, Ill. Ind. Bot. 1: 99 1840. (Syn: Gordonia obtusifolia Wight [Spelling variant]; Gordonia parvifolia Wight; Saurauia crenulata Wight ex Wall. (Unresolved));
ID confirmation – MS100411 -29 -Gordonia obtusa: Gordonia obtusa of Theaceae.
Photos taken near Agumbe, Shimoga district on 27.12.2010.
This is commonly seen in konkan and western ghats.
Common names – Kannada : Mollangana mara, OlaKannada: Nagatta; Malayalam: Atangi, Karikkova, Kattukarana.
DV :: 01APR11 – 0713 :: at Coorg: A large (tall) tree (not sure: planted OR wild).
Date/Time : April 1, 2011 at 7.13am IST
Location Place : Kodagu Valley Resort, Coorg, Karnataka … 12.441311,
75.718047 on Google maps <http://goo.gl/maps/4fIq>
Altitude : 3718 ft (above mean sea level)
– what about the size of flower? If this is about 5 cm, then this can be Dillenia bracteata, yet a close up of flower would have confirmed the ID.
– the size of the flower could be about 30 to 35 mm across. Offering the lame and usual excuse of low light and … the flowers were at a very great height.
– For me the tree looks like Gordonia obtusa of Theaceae. This is commonly seen in konkan and western ghats. Common names – Kannada : Mallangana mara, OlaKannada: Nagatta; Malayalam: Atangi, Karikkova, Kattukarana. I think the bark is used for catching fishes. I am sending the photographs taken by me in western ghats in a separate mail as there is no option to attach photos to this mail.
– Many thanks .. for the ID as Gordonia obtusa
Compared my plant with illustrations at Biotik …
and the photos you provided in a separate post at
– … endemic to southern and central Western Ghats … commonly known as: blunt-leaved gordonia • Kannada: ಮಲ್ಲಂಗ mallanga • Malayalam: കാട്ടുകരണ kaattukarana, കരിക്കോവ karikkoova • Tamil: அதாங்கி atanki
Gordonia obtusa: Continuing with the earlier posting by .. please find attached two pictures of Gordonia obtusa. Please confirm id. The fruit is also seen in the picture.
Pictures taken from Silent Valley National Park. March 2011.
Yes .. … indeed Gordonia obtusa … the same as seen by me at Kodagu.
220312 BRS 338 Id. request regd.:
Location: Nilgiris (Ootty).
Habitat: Wild (along the road side)
This is Gordonia obtusa Wall. ex Wt. & Arn. – of Theaceae family. http://www.biotik.org/india/species/g/gordobtu/gordobtu_en.html
ANDEC07/07 Gordonia obtusa : 2 posts by 1 author. Attachments (4)
Date: 26th December 2014
Place: Agumbe, Karnataka
Habit: Short tree
Identified by: …
Reference: 1) http://florakarnataka.ces.iisc.ernet.in/hjcb2/img/pdf/Gordonia%20obtusa/198.pdf.jpg