Flowers offered to Shiv ji:
During recent visit to Chhattisgarh forest I took this picture. Hibiscus and Datura flowers with Marigold were offered to Shiv ji.
I was told that Hibiscus rosa-sinensis is Devi Phool offered to The Goddess only not to Shiv ji. But there is difference in opinion. … can throw more light on it.
In year 2007 I observed it during survey. Please see second picture titled “Bhorum one”
– Actually in Maharashtra this is offered to Lord Ganapati. Shiva for calmness is offered with white flower.
– In Mumbai, we offer the red hibiscus flowers to Lord Ganesha. We offer Shiva, the Datura fruits and the leaves and fruits of Bael tree (Aegle marmelos)
– In general toxic flowers and other plant parts are offered to Shiv ji but now trend is changing. In my state toxic Gloriosa flowers are offered to Ganesh ji. Similarly many exotic species have taken place in Pooja. For example you can see Bougainvillea flowers on Shiv ji in second picture.
– these are not changing trends. People just tend to link and they just put any flower. You know this holy festival of Chatt celebrated by people in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh. It is supposed to be the most sacred festival of Hindus
– This reminds me of the ‘Phul gulli’ or flower market near Dadar Railway station in Mumbai. My work regularly takes me to this area and I brave the crowds and slush just to see the variety of flowers!
– they say, what you offer with full respect and belief is always accepted by god!!! so don’t worry about the species of flower!!
– But still the phenomenon of “Plants and Religion” exists and will exist.