Eranthemum L. specis in India
Bracts white with green nerves
Bracts elliptic, cuspidate, glabrous and spikes upto 7.5 cm…… E. pulchellum Andr.
Bracts obovate, mucronate, strigose and spikes longer than 7.5 cm…. E. roseum (Vahl.) R. Br.
The bracts many nerved, white ciliate on margins…. E. purpurascens Nees
The bracts few nerved, viscous hairy……. E. capens L. var. concanense (T. And. C. B. Cl.) Sant.
As per efi page :
Keys from Dr. Almeida’s flora for Eranthemum L. Vol IV, A pg: 36:
1. Flowers reddish -pink——-E. cinnabarinum
1. Flowers blue——–2
2. Bracts densely pubescent——–E. pubescens
2. Bracts glabrous or faintly hairy——3
3. Bracts white with green veins, obovate, obtuse, with a short reflexed mucro—–4
4. Plants with many erect branches springing from a common base——-E. wattii
4. Plants with single stem, branched above, not in clumps——–5
5. Flowers 3-4 cm across —- E. roseum
5. Flowers upto 2.5 cm across —- E. roseum var. parviflorum
3. Bracts green, elliptic, ovate, acuminate ——6
6. Flowers in dense, usually solitary, uninterrupted spikes; bracts exceeding 2 cm long —– E. purpurascens
6. Flowers in interrupted usually paniculate spikes; bracts less than 1 cm long —– 7
7. Leaves elliptic—— E. fastigiatum (is a synonym of Eranthemum capense L.)
7. Leaves ovate——E. pulchellum
Eranthemum ciliatum (Craib) Benoist (W Nepal; India)
Eranthemum pulchellum Andrews (Subtropical Himalaya (Punjab to Bhutan), Burma, Indo-China, W. China)
Eranthemum purpurascens Nees (Tropical Himalaya, India)
Eranthemum splendens (T. Anderson) Siebert & Voss (Subtropical Himalaya (Nepal, Sikkim))
Species with description & keys from Flora of Pakistan (Distribution):
Eranthemum pulchelum Andrews (A native of Indo-Pakistan subcontinent; introduced in gardens elsewhere)
Floriculture in India By Gurcharan Singh Randhawa, Amitabha Mukhopadhyay (1986)- Brief details-
Eranthemum albomarginatum B.S.Williams,
Pseuderanthemum atropurpureum (W. Bull) L.H. Bailey is a synonym of Pseuderanthemum carruthersii (Seem.) Guillaumin,
Eranthemum nigrum Linden is a synonym of Pseuderanthemum carruthersii (Seem.) Guillaumin, Pseuderanthemum laxiflorum,
Eranthemum tricolor W.Bull is a synonym of Pseuderanthemum carruthersii (Seem.) Guillaumin
CRC World Dictionary of Medicinal and Poisonous Plants: Common Names … By Umberto Quattrocchi (2012)-
Eranthemum malaccense C.B.Clarke
Pseuderanthemum palatiferum (Nees) Radlk. ex Lindau is a synonym of Pseuderanthemum latifolium B. Hansen
Flora of Guntur District, Andhra Pradesh, India (2000)- Details with keys–
A Revised Handbook to the Flora of Ceylon -, Volume 12 By M. D. Dassanayake (1998)- Details-
An Excursion Flora of Central Tamilnadu, India By K. M. Matthew (1995)- Details-
Floristic Diversity of Assam: Study of Pabitora Wildlife Sanctuary By Bora, Yogendra Kumar (2003)- Details-
Eranthemum nervosum (VAHL) R. BR. EX ROEM & SCHULT is a synonym of Eranthemum pulchellum
Eranthemum (Acanthaceae) : 1 post by 1 author.
I have updated eFI (efloraofindia) page on Eranthemum (Pl. click).
Attempts have been made to incorporate most of the species available in India & nearby areas with details & keys directly or through links as far as possible. It’s quite possible that there may be some discrepancy in the accepted names & synonyms taken from other links.
Species discussed so far in efloraofindia are given at the bottom of the page in the form of links against Subpages. On clicking them one can see all the details.
If someone can provide complete list of Indian species with source references it will be wonderful.
Any comments/ corrections are welcome.
Eranthemum page with images of species in efloraofindia : 1 post by 1 author.
Pl. go through Eranthemum page with images of species in efloraofindia (done by me).
If you find any mis-identification, pl. let us know.