* A Pictorial Guide to The Plants of The Indian Subcontinent: It is a small handy book and the photos are also good in most of the plates. The author gives the meaning of its name, uses etc. book published by Ramesh K Aima Price is Rs.1,495/- and readily available by logging on to the website natrajbooks.com. The plants are arranged alphabetically, with two descriptions on the left side and pictures of each on the right side. The format followed is name, Etymology, common name, family, Description, Distribution and uses.Total 555 pages. Pg 496 to 527 consists of keys for the genus and species, followed by scientific names index and common names index and last is the glossary of technical terms. (Sanal Nair- 27/3/10 & Rashida Atthar- 1.5.10).
* Aaple Vriksh & Desi Vriksh by Dr S. D. Mahajan – Dr S. D. Mahajan a reknowned botanist from Pune Maharashtra.is coming up with a book on Indian trees. This is in Marathi. (Dr. Satish Phadke)
* An Atlas of Major Flowering Trees in India– second Edition- MSSwaminathan, FRS & SLKochhar– Rs.950 [original price]. This a very detailed & informative book- good pictures. (Ranjini Kamath- 30.4.09)
* A Revised Survey of the Forest Types of India: H.G. Champion and S. K. Seth; Government of India Press, 1968 (Reprinted 2005, Natraj Publishers, Dehradun). This is a classic and an excellent guide to the vegetation and biogeography of plant habitats in India.
* Beautiful flowers of the Kashmir by Fr. Ethebert Blatter.
* Beautiful trees & shrubs of Kolkata by R.K.Chakraverty & S.K.Jain– published by Botanical Survey of India, Indian Botanical Garden, Howrah- Rs.128 (198 pages)- Very good book for Kolkata members although it is quite useful for others also. Quality of photographs is not upto the mark. However details about Kolkata are very good.
Publication- A very good book for identifying & knowing about the flowers of the Himalayas. It explains about 1002 species of Himalayan flowers with colours photographs & Drawings.
The book is published by IAAT and is now available for sale.p.328. Hard Bound. INR 700.00. ISBN: 81-901637-3-6
Arora, Informatic Books Delhi. Title: Perennials. Author: Prof. Marshall Craigmyle. Publisher:Colin Gower Enterprises, UK. Price 1050.00 Only. Pages 352 all Glossy colored. Covering about 2700 COMMON ANNUALS AND PERENNIALS GARDEN PLANTS with very nice photographs I found this book excellent (Dr. Balkar Singh)
The BNHS has published Trees of Mumbai, 2006. Price Rs. 465/-. Sadly, it is not even half as good as Trees of Delhi. Incidentally I have got a copy of the book, and I was really distressed to see the quality of the photos. Some rank amateur with a cheap camera has taken the photographs. The camera it seems was purchased by BNHS for this purpose only. BNHS will be well advised to change the plates in the next edition if at all there is one. They should hire the services of a professional. However the work would be for the entire year, so better that they do it now. The bok is no patch on some other books like Pradeep Krishan’s book on Delhi trees and Shrikant’s on Pune trees.
Mobile : 9686662213 Fax : 91-8272-221882 Email : Vikas.S…@mahindraholidays.com (Dinesh Valke)
I am sending you new links for a few more books. Kindly update. Your blog has helped many.
1. Flowering Trees & Shrub in India by DVCowen
2. Forty Common Indian Trees & how to know them by RNParkar
3. Common Trees of India by Pippa Mukherjee
4. 100 Beautiful Trees of India – Charles McCann
5. Our Tree Neighbours – Chakravarty Venkatesh
6. Common Trees – Father Santapau
7. Our Monsoon Plants – BNHS – Madhav Raut