Pluchea species in India:
While trying to identify species of Pluchea in India we must be looking at least at seven names. The two species earlier considered distinct with winged stem due to decurrent leaf bases (P. ovalis) or without winged stems but distinctly auricled leaf bases (P. tomentosa) have now been merged into one P. ovalis.
1. Heads solitary or few, 8-12 mm across, not in corymbs; involucre bracts subulate-lanceolate, rigid…. P. arguta Boiss.
1. Heads many in compound corymbs, less than 8 mm across; outer involucre bracts not rigid……(2)
2. Leaves sessile, decurrent on stem (to make it winged) or auricled at base; outer involucre bracts acute… P. ovalis DC. (? Pluchea tomentosa as no distribution of Pluchea ovalis In India as per GCC)
2. Leaves sessile or subsessile, neither auricled at base, nor decurrent on stem…….(3)
3. Plants of salt marshes; leaves subsessile, obovate or oblanceolate, subserrate, often gland-dotted; outer involucre bracts rounded at tip; disc florets less than 7; pappus white……….P. indica Less.
3. Plants terrestrial; leaves not gland-dotted; disc florets more than 10……..(4)
4. Leaves 12-20 cm long, linear with recurved margin, nerves obscure…….P. linearifolia Cl.
4. Leaves shorter than 10 cm long, not linear, flat, nerves distinct…….(5)
5. Tall shrub up to 2 m tall; leaves elliptic to obovate-oblong, faintly toothed, tips not pungent; outer involucre bracts ovate, acute …..P. wallichiana DC.
5. Low shrub mostly less than 1 m tall; leaves oblong to oblanceolate, mostly entire, tip mucronate and pungent; outer involucre bracts oblong, obtuse, purple at tip …….P. lanceolata (DC.) Cl.
Thanks, … If we follow Global Compositae Checklist, then in India we have only Pluchea tomentosa & no Pluchea ovalis as per the following links:
Conyza paniculata Willd. is now Pluchea paniculata (Willd.) Karthik and Moorthy; which makes it another species in this genus.
As per GCC, there are two species of Conyza paniculata
Karthikeyan et al.(2009) shifted a species (originally published as Conyza paniculata Willd.) to Pluchea genus but this was not accepted by GCC. Rather, GCC accept the shifting of this species to Blumea genus by M.R.Almeida in 2001 thus making it as Blumea paniculata (Willd.) M.R.Almeida. TPL 2013 also accepts the same shifting.
Species with description & pictures in Flowers of India as on 19.04.15:
Pluchea arguta subsp. arguta (Iran, Pakistan and India)
Pluchea arguta subsp. glabra Qaiser (Iran, Pakistan and India)
Pluchea lanceolata (DC.) C. B. Clarke (India, Pakistan (Sindh, Punjab, Baluchistan), Afghanistan and N Africa)
Pluchea ovalis (Pers.) DC. (West Africa, Arabian Peninsula, Pakistan and India) (? Pluchea tomentosa as no distribution of Pluchea ovalis In India & Pak as per GCC)
Pluchea pinnatidifida Hook.f. (No distribution given) is a synonym of Pluchea arabica (Boiss.) Qaiser & Lack
Pluchea wallichiana DC. (India and Pakistan)
Pluchea indica (Linnaeus) Lessing [Cambodia, India, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam; N Australia, Pacific islands (Hawaii)].
Indian Herbal Remedies: Rational Western Therapy, Ayurvedic, and Other … edited by C.P. Khare (2008)- Details-
Flora of Ranga Reddi District Andhra Pradesh, India By T. Pullaiah, M. Silar Mohammed (2000)- Details-
Pluchea tomentosa DC.
Revision of Pluchea Cass. (Compositae, Plucheeae) in the Old World by Susanne King-Jones – Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem, 2001 – Compositae – 136 pages
Pluchea linearifolia C.B.Clarke (among others)- Endemic to NE India.
The Flora of British India, Volume 3 By Sir Joseph Dalton Hooker (1882)- Details-
World Spice Plants: Economic Usage, Botany, Taxonomy By Johannes Seidemann (2005)- Details-
Pluchea (Asteraceae) : 4 posts by 2 authors.
I have updated eFI (efloraofindia) page on Pluchea (Pl. click).
Attempts have been made to incorporate most of the species available in India & nearby areas with details & keys directly or through links as far as possible. It’s quite possible that there may be some discrepancy in the accepted names & synonyms taken from other links.
Species discussed so far in efloraofindia are given at the bottom of the page in the form of links against Subpages. On clicking them one can see all the details.
If someone can provide complete list of Indian species with source references it will be wonderful.
Any comments/ corrections are welcome.
I have added list of species based on relevant references.
Thanks a lot, …, I have made changes accordingly.
If we follow Global Compositae Checklist, then in India we have only Pluchea tomentosa & no Pluchea ovalis as per the following links:
In that case more changes has to be made accordingly.
I shall be waiting for any further feedback in the matter for a day.
Members who have posted both the species pl. take note & make changes accordingly.
The Plant List 2013, Global Compositae Checklist and Tropicos all consider P.ovalis and P.tomentosa as two separate and distinct species. Both are reported growing in India (P. tomentosa – throughout India and P.ovalis –NW India as per Karthikeyan et al 2009).
There is one post by … in which he has mentioned these two as same species under the name P.ovalis. Since there is no reference I am not able to to understand where this name (P.tomentosa) is relegated as synonym of P.ovalis.
Thanks, …, As per Pluchea ovalis (Pers.) DC. (FOP)
Re: completed insertion of images of identified species of Pluchea : 1 post by 1 author
Pluchea page (Asteraceae (Compositae)) with images of species in efloraofindia : 2 posts by 2 authors.
If you find any mis-identification, pl. let us know.